Alright, it’s time to get serious. The calendar has finally turned to October, the Van Andel Arena’s new LED ribbon is operational, the Griffins’ first local practice is set for Monday at 10:30 a.m. at Griff’s IceHouse, and the season opener at Van Andel Arena is just a week away.
The Oct. 8 opener will feature a great lineup of promotions, including a performance by renowned bucket drummer Peter Rabbit, who has performed at arenas across the continent.
As they continue to tweak their roster, the Griffins today released five players from their training camp tryouts: Trent Daavettila, Nick Duff, Ryan Howarth, Robin Richards and Gary Steffes. As a result, the only tryout remaining in camp is right wing Kyle Rogers.
With the Red Wings playing their final three preseason games in as many days tonight through Sunday, there are sure to be a few more player movements between Detroit and Grand Rapids this weekend. But the Griffins are expected to have nearly every player from their anticipated roster when they hit the ice on Monday. Until then, have a great weekend.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Four return to Detroit (Grand Rapids Griffins)
- Griffins fall to Monsters in scrimmage (Grand Rapids Griffins)
- Griffins fall to Monsters in rare preseason action (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Todd Bertuzzi (back) scratched for tonight; Mattias Ritola running out of time in roster battle (MLive)
- Red Wings assign five more players to Griffins, including Francis Pare and Tomas Tatar (MLive)
- Red Wings will dress top three lines Friday, assign five players to Grand Rapids (MLive)
- Kirk Maltby’s career with Wings hanging by a thread (Detroit News)
Alumni news and notes: