The Griffins this morning held their first practice of the season on Van Andel Arena’s sparkling new ice sheet, as they continue to prepare for tomorrow’s opener against Abbotsford. Not only will Friday’s game be the first season opener for the Griffins at home in five years, but it will also mark the start of the team’s 10th campaign as members of the American Hockey League and 15th season overall.
My, how time flies.
The Griffins have been through eight head coaches, two leagues and two NHL affiliations, but one constant through it all has been GM Bob McNamara, under whose guidance they’ve claimed two regular season championships and five division titles. The Grand Rapids Press today unveiled its 2010-11 hockey preview section with supplemental coverage on MLive, including a lengthy Q&A with the man who has molded the Griffins since their inception in 1996.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Griffins general manager Bob McNamara has been staple of organization since it began (MLive)
- Griffins expect to rebound with AHL playoff run (MLive)
- Griffins’ 2010 success hinges on improved effort by second-year goalie Thomas McCollum (MLive)
- Derek Meech now with Grand Rapids Griffins after clearing waivers (MLive)
- Veterans Joey MacDonald and Greg Amadio happy to be back with Griffins (MLive)
- Justin Abdelkader out, Todd Bertuzzi questionable; might Kirk Maltby play for Red Wings Friday? (MLive)
- Gonzo’s Guide: Griffins return, ‘Rockapella Goes Retro’, Lady Antebellum (MLive)
- Wings GM Holland gives Maltby time to decide future (Detroit Free Press)
- Wings’ Kirk Maltby clears waivers, might retire (Detroit News)
- Griffins get extreme makeover (Griffins Central)
Alumni news and notes:
- Red Wings’ Jimmy Howard embraces challenge of avoiding ‘sophomore slump’ as starting goalie (MLive)
- Ex-Maine goalie Howard to start for Wings Friday (Bangor Daily News)