It appears that four-time Stanley Cup champ Kirk Maltby – who has been a Red Wing longer than the Griffins have been a franchise – will never taste a Yesterdog, gaze admiringly upon “Cavalry, American Officers, 1921” or dip his waders into the Grand River. At least not as a player. He is expected to announce his retirement this afternoon in a 5:30 p.m. press conference at Joe Louis Arena. Get the scoop at MLive, in the Detroit Free Press or the Detroit News.
While it would have been great to see the second member of the Grind Line suit up for the Griffins, following in the skate strides of Darren McCarty and numerous other longtime NHL veterans (Marty McSorley, Kelly Miller, Derek King and Brad May), our hunch is that we’ll still get to see him frequently around Van Andel Arena on game nights. Perhaps he can carpool with Jiri Fischer, Chris Chelios or Aaron Downey when they come to Grand Rapids to work with the future Red Wings.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Video: Pups and Pucks Part 1 (Fox 17)
- Video: Pups and Pucks Part 2 (Fox 17)
- Janik joins Wings, Griffins sign Straub (Grand Rapids Griffins)
- Red Wings recall Griffins defenseman Doug Janik for game against Avalanche (MLive)
- Red Wings recall defenseman Doug Janik from Grand Rapids, place Kris Draper on IR (MLive)
- Wings’ Rafalski to have knee scope; Janik recalled (Detroit Free Press)
Alumni news and notes:
Wings rookie Jakub Kindl would rather not ride the bus (Detroit News)