The Griffins are enjoying another solid start to their season, continuing a longtime trend of successful Octobers. Grand Rapids has reached Halloween with a winning record in each of the previous seven seasons and in 10 of the last 11 years, with a 0.500 mark in 2002 serving as the only exception during that span. With a current record of 4-2-0-1, the Griffins can extend those streaks by earning at least one point during their two-game weekend home set that begins tonight against Oklahoma City.
The Griffins have been scary-good on special teams during the early going, tying for the AHL’s best power play (29.0%) and most shorthanded goals (3) while boasting the third-ranked penalty killers (92.7%). While it’s obviously much too early to project things over an entire season, it’s a very welcome and refreshing change so far from the 2009-10 campaign, when Grand Rapids ranked 17th on the power play (17.1%) and 26th in penalty killing (80.1%).
Kudos to the coaching staff, the PK unit and prolific point producers such as Cory Emmerton, Ilari Filppula, Derek Meech and Jan Mursak for making the Griffins’ special teams a force to reckon with.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Mac’s in motown (Grand Rapids Griffins)
- Griffins goalie Joey MacDonald recalled by Red Wings to back up Chris Osgood (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Jimmy Howard out with back spasms; Joey MacDonald recalled to back up Chris Osgood (MLive)
- AHL quick hits (AHL)
- AHL Hall of Fame Class of 2011 (AHL)
- Four will be inducted into AHL Hall of Fame (MLive)
- A good show for Zinger (Winnipeg Free Press)
- Road test will show how Moose run (Winnipeg Free Press)
- Moose goaltending situation sorting itself out (Winnipeg Sun)
- Looking for chemistry (Winnipeg Sun)
Alumni news and notes:
Justin Abdelkader will get first action for Red Wings on Saturday (Detroit Free Press)
Back spasms put Wings goalie Jimmy Howard on shelf (Detroit News)