Grand Rapids will host Milwaukee at noon today, carrying on a tradition that the Griffins started back in their first season in the AHL. On Nov. 13, 2001, they defeated Chicago 3-2 at Van Andel Arena, in the first non-holiday, weekday matinee in league history. A total of 6,841 fans were in attendance that day, including more than 2,500 high school and elementary students from 39 schools.
The Griffins’ matinee game has since grown into a major event for local schools, with nearly 5,000 students expected to attend today’s contest. Far from simply a half-day off from classes, it’s a few hours of hockey fun preceded by two hours of educational elements and learning experiences.
Beginning at 10 a.m., elementary students will explore science, technology, engineering and mathematics through interactive displays and hands-on activities set up by Michigan Technological University. Meanwhile, a middle/high school career forum will focus on career strategies, as West Michigan experts and professionals share effective strategies and tips to help students strengthen their skills for future careers. In addition, Lake Michigan Credit Union’s director of business development and community involvement, Vickie Smith, will discuss financial responsibility following high school and share information about the 2011 LMCU Hutt Scholarship.
And if the past is any indication, the kids won’t be the only ones getting schooled today. If the Griffins can sink the Admirals, they’ll improve to 8-2 all time in their matinee game. Not bad for a few hours’ work.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Video: Griffins vs. Moose/Wolves (Grand Rapids Griffins)
- Jordan Pearce making most of return to Griffins (MLive)
- Red Wings reach deal with third-round pick Louis-Marc Aubry (MLive)
- Griffins, Brandon Straub agree to standard contract (MLive)
- Preview: Admirals at Griffins (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
- The first one was for mom (Hamilton Spectator)
Alumni news and notes:
- Video: Chris Neil post-game (Ottawa Senators)
- Video: Jason Spezza post-game (Ottawa Senators)
- Red Wings’ Mike Babcock: Jiri Hudler must ‘steal’ third line job (MLive)
- Avs’ defenseman Kyle Quincey out with concussion (Denver Post)
Video – NHL alumni goals:
- OTT Jason Spezza 2 – Nov. 9 vs. ATL
- OTT Chris Neil – Nov. 9 vs. ATL
- OTT Jason Spezza 1 – Nov. 9 vs. ATL