‘Tis a week for throwing things, apparently.
Earlier today, the Griffins threw their weight around to the tune of a team-record 105 penalty minutes, but they were unable to translate it into a victory, losing 3-1 on the road to Toronto.
Tomorrow, folks across this great land will throw celebrations for friends and family, giving thanks for the bounties and blessings that have been bestowed upon them.
Finally, Friday will mark the Griffins’ annual Teddy Bear Toss, in which fans are asked to throw new, store-tagged stuffed animals onto the ice after the Griffins score their first goal against the Rockford IceHogs. All of the toys will be collected and donated to Hug-A-Bears of Kent County. For those whose turkey-induced comas cause them to forget, the Emmanuel Free Church IGNITE group will sell teddy bears on the concourse for $3.
Note: Due to the holiday, this will be the last Afternoon Shift until Monday, Nov. 29. Happy Thanksgiving!
Today’s Griffins links:
- Marlies drop Griffins (Griffins)
- Video: Amway Section A Grand Opening (Griffins)
- Griffins will look to snap scoring funk in Wednesday’s matinee at Toronto (MLive)
- Gonzo’s Guide: ‘Nutcracker’, Griffins, Christmas traditions at Meijer Gardens, ‘Peter Pan’ and ‘Legally Blonde’ (MLive)
- Third year’s a charm for Emmerton (Griffins Central)
- AHL quick hits (AHL)
- Rockford IceHogs’ Hannu Toivonen steps up in net (Rockford Register Star)
- Wolves’ offense sizzles in win over Lake Erie (Daily Herald)
Alumni news and notes:
- Red Wings’ Mike Babcock scratches Jiri Hudler, says he must earn his job back (MLive)
- Valtteri Filppula hopes to heat up like Red Wings’ other forwards (MLive)
Wings’ Jiri Hudler ‘not happy’ with latest healthy scratch (Detroit News)
Red Wings’ Jiri Hudler unhappy about being scratched (Detroit Free Press)
Why Detroit Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard deserves to be an all-star (Bleacher Report)