Two major holidays have passed for the Griffins without the services of the player on whom they have placed a great deal of their aspirations for the 2010-11 season. So when Joey MacDonald returns to the lineup this weekend, coach Curt Fraser is sure to feel like a kid on Christmas morning.
Recalled to Detroit three days before Halloween and reassigned to Grand Rapids six days after Thanksgiving, MacDonald was the Red Wings’ backup netminder during their last 15 games, serving as the understudy to Chris Osgood for the first two and Jimmy Howard for the last 13. He saw his only action in relief of Howard during Detroit’s 5-1 loss at Atlanta on Nov. 24, stopping seven of eight shots during the third period.
At the time of his recall from Grand Rapids, MacDonald ranked among the AHL’s leaders with a 1.72 GAA (9th) and one shutout (T1st), to go with a 0.929 save percentage and a 2-1-1 record.
The Griffins, who were 4-2-0-1 and had allowed 2.43 goals per game (T7th AHL) while MacDonald was on their roster, have since gone 5-7-0-3 while surrendering 3.33 goals per game and seeing their season-long average rise to 3.05 (T21st AHL).
Today’s Griffins links:
- MacDonald returns, three depart (Griffins)
- Curt’s Corner: Stopping the skid (Griffins)
- Are you ready? (Griffins)
- Video: ‘Getting to know the Griffins,’ Episode 5: Forward Chris Minard (MLive)
- Griffins’ Tomas Tatar starts to shake loose from early scoring slump (MLive)
- Goalie Joey MacDonald back with Griffins after stint with Red Wings (MLive)
- Griffins assign three players to ECHL Toledo (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Chris Osgood will back up Friday, start Saturday; Joey MacDonald sent to Grand Rapids (MLive)
- Mursak waiting for NHL call (Red Wings Central)
- November 2010 Grand Rapids Griffins report (Griffins Central)
- Griffins’ Derek Meech and Leo’s Restaurant team up to support research at VAI (Van Andel Institute)
- Admirals hand former coach Noel a defeat (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
Alumni news and notes:
Video – NHL alumni goals: