What do Griffins victories have in common with January weather? They both produce snowballs.
In this “Groupon” age when everyone seems to be looking for a deal, there’s been no bigger bargain recently than a Wednesday night Griffins game, especially for fans who were in attendance on Dec. 8.
Grand Rapids’ 3-2 win over Milwaukee that night kicked off an impressive run of four consecutive wins for the Griffins in Wednesday home games. This fact might only appeal to the stat geeks among us — guilty as charged — if not for the team’s “Winning Wednesday” promotion, in which all fans in attendance for a Wednesday home victory can receive a free ticket to the Griffins’ next Wednesday game.
So, thanks to subsequent wins on Dec. 15 (5-2 over Houston), Dec. 22 (4-3 over Toronto) and Jan. 5 (3-2 over Hamilton), those Dec. 8 fans who’ve continued to redeem their tickets can attend their fifth game for the price of one when the Bulldogs return to Van Andel Arena on Feb. 16.
Forget the Mega Millions lottery. Few investments over the last month have paid off as well as that.
While there’s of course no telling how long this snowball effect will continue, Wednesday games are always a great value for Griffins fans, win or lose. Through the complementary “Wednesday is Hockey Night” and “Library Night” promotions, fans can show their tickets at participating Arena District restaurants and bars to receive drink specials and 20% off food either before or after the game, and those who present their Grand Rapids Public Library or Kent District Library card at The Zone or on game night at the box office can purchase a lower bowl ticket for just $10.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Griffins top ‘Dogs, 3-2 (Griffins)
- Video: Griffins vs Hamilton 1 5 11 (Griffins)
- Griffins’ new 50/50 raffle features larger jackpots (Griffins)
- Video: ‘Getting to know the Griffins,’ Episode 10: Defenseman Brian Lashoff (MLive)
- Adam Keefe makes instant impact with Grffins with fight, assist on game-winning goal (MLive)
- Evan Rankin scores game-winning goal in Griffins debut against Hamilton (MLive)
- Video: Griffins v Bulldogs – 01 05 11 (Fox 17)
- Walleye thin at forward from call-ups (Toledo Blade)
- Preview: Griffins vs. Admirals (Milwaukee Journal Sentinel)
Alumni news and notes:
Wings’ Darren Helm plays a style Kris Draper can appreciate (Detroit News)
Video: Gone curling (Red Wings)
Video – NHL alumni goal: