With the start of a four-game Texas road trip tonight in San Antonio, you won’t see any Griffins jerseys around Van Andel Arena for a while. But they can be found at the Riverfront Cafe — in metal form.
Uber-fan John Tripp created six Griffins jerseys in chainmail as a 2010 ArtPrize entry titled “The Team,” and they were displayed throughout the competition at the downtown cafe (235 W. Fulton St, behind the Courtyard Marriott). Riverfront Cafe recently chose Tripp as its artist of the month, so the jerseys are back on display there through the end of January.
As previously profiled in the Grand Rapids Press and on GriffVision, these jerseys are a sight to behold. Inspired by Tripp’s passion for the Griffins, each jersey took 200 hours to complete, cost as much as $300 in materials, and is composed of 60,000 metal rings.
If you haven’t seen the jerseys yet, we encourage you to visit “The Team” and take a step back into medieval times, when playing hockey required both mettle and metal.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Happy trails to you (Griffins)
- Mursak, Tatar take friendship to Detroit (Griffins)
- Red Wings’ Jan Mursak gains experience while Pavel Datsyuk, Danny Cleary sit with injuries (MLive)
- Thomas McCollum eager to get back into Griffins’ net after stint with Toledo Walleye (MLive)
Jan Mursak showing tenacity in call-up to Wings (Detroit News)
With injuries piling up, Red Wings’ role players are stepping up (Detroit Free Press)
- Pair give Rampage 1-2 All-Star punch (San Antonio Express News)
- Rau leads Aeros to win over IceHogs (Houston Chronicle)
Alumni news and notes:
- Captain Oulahen back as assistant (Brampton Battalion)
Video – NHL alumni goal: