Jordan Owens is the type of player whose vital, nightly contributions often don’t show up on the scoresheet. Tuesday in Austin was a notable exception.
In the final game of their season-high six-game road trip and four-game Texas swing, the Griffins had seen their 2-1 lead over the Stars through 40 minutes morph into a 3-2 deficit as time ticked under five minutes remaining in regulation.
With the Griffins on the power play, Owens set up shop in front of the Texas net and backhanded a rebound of Derek Meech’s shot past Richard Bachman with just 4:12 left, evening the score and sending the game to overtime.
Then, in the extra session, Owens sped down the left side, circled behind the net and banked a shot off a Stars defender’s skate that trickled across the line at 3:11, giving the visitors the 4-3 victory. Watch the video highlights here.
Owens, who is better known around the AHL for his energy, tenacity and defensive play than his scoring touch, now has points in three of the last four games (2-2–4) and in eight of 15 contests (3-8–11) since Dec. 15.
With the win, the Griffins moved within two points of third place Toronto and Lake Erie in the battle for what likely will be the final playoff spot in the North Division. Their prospects for claiming that postseason berth have brightened recently thanks to the solid netminding of Jordan Pearce, who in the absence of Joey MacDonald played all four games in Texas, going 3-1 with a 2.19 GAA and a spectacular 0.933 save percentage.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Stars fall to Griffins in overtime, 4-3 (Griffins)
- Jordan Owens gives Griffins OT win over Texas (MLive)
- Despite valiant late effort, trickling Grand Rapids shot downs Stars in OT (Austin American-Statesman)
- Red Wings’ goaltender Thomas McCollum injures finger, initial X-rays reveal no broken bone (MLive)
- Grand Rapids Griffins first half report card (Griffins Central)
Alumni news and notes:
- Trenton Devils’ Dan Charleston suspended 12 games and fined for shooting puck into stands (The Trentonian)