Griffins forward Ilari Filppula was unable to help the Western Conference earn a victory at the 2011 AHL All-Star Skills Competition on Sunday afternoon in Hershey, while participating in the puck control relay, pass and score, and the breakaway relay. But in tonight’s all-star game, he’s guaranteed to make history, win or lose.
Once Filppula steps on the ice, he and younger brother/current Detroit Red Wing Valtteri will become one of just four sets of brothers in AHL history to compete in the league’s all-star game. Ilari, the Griffins’ lone representative with defenseman Brendan Smith on the mend, makes his appearance five years after Valtteri, who played in the 2006 event in Winnipeg.
Oddly enough, two of the other three sets of AHL all-star siblings have Griffins ties: Nick (2006-07 Griffins) and Gregg Naumenko, and Mark (2007-08 Griffins) and Matt Cullen. Peter and Chris Ferraro round out the quartet.
One other set of brothers has represented the Griffins in all-star games, albeit in different leagues. Kip Miller served as captain of the PlanetUSA AHL All-Stars at the game’s 2007 edition in Toronto, while older brother Kevin started in the IHL’s mid-season classic in 2000, in a unique format that saw the defending Turner Cup champion Houston Aeros defeat a team of IHL All-Stars by a 5-3 count.
Watch tonight’s AHL All-Star Game live at 7 p.m. on Fox Sports Detroit.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Griffins edge Rivermen, 3-2 (Griffins)
- Good things come to those who wait (Griffins)
- Griffins send three to Toledo (Griffins)
- Griffins’ Ilari Filppula participates in AHL all-star skills competition (MLive)
- Griffins earn win at Peoria as Curt Fraser breaks franchise record for games as coach (MLive)
- Rivermen can’t catch a break, lose 3-2, settle for a rest (Peoria Journal Star)
- Chris Minard nets hat trick as Griffins beat Rockford IceHogs at home (MLive)
- Minard’s hat trick ices IceHogs 5-2 (Griffins Central)
- Video: ‘Getting to know the Griffins,’ Episode 13: Defenseman Doug Janik (MLive)
- Video: Griffins – 01.28.11 (Fox 17)
- AHL Hall of Fame inducts new class (AHL)
- East takes 19-7 Skills Competition win (AHL)
- Monsters sweep home-and-home series from Dogs (Hamilton Spectator)
Alumni news and notes:
- Red Wings prospect Landon Ferraro to have hernia surgery (Detroit Free Press)