Just a quick note on last night’s AHL All-Star Game before we head home to check our supplies of canned goods, bottled water, generator fuel and ammunition in advance of doomsday (a.k.a. a good, old-fashioned Michigan snowstorm).
Congratulations once again to Griffins forward Ilari Filppula, who as noted yesterday made history with younger brother/current Detroit Red Wing Valtteri, becoming one of just four sets of brothers in AHL history to compete in the league’s all-star game. (Valtteri represented the Griffins in the 2006 game in Winnipeg.)
While Ilari could not help the West squad to victory – the East won the game by an 11-8 count – he became the first Griffin to score a goal in the all-star game since 2007 (Kip Miller) and the first to get an assist since 2009 (Jakub Kindl). Not bad for a guy who was chosen as replacement for the game, but everything we’ve come to expect from the Griffins’ top goal and point producer this season.
Today’s Griffins links:
- UnPearceable (Griffins)
- Mursak moves back to Motown (Griffins)
- Video: Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital visit (Griffins)
- Red Wings recall forward Jan Mursak from Grand Rapids (MLive)
- Datsyuk out, Mursak in for Wings (Detroit Free Press)
- Griffins’ Ilari Filppula scores goal, records assist in AHL all-star game (MLive)
- East earns 11-8 win in AHL All-Star Game (AHL)
- Hershey a perfect host for grand AHL celebration (NHL)