Lately, when it comes to injuries, the Griffins and Red Wings have had to take whatever good news they can get. So it is today that we celebrate the big toe on forward Jan Mursak’s left foot, which appears to be just swollen and painful — but not broken — after taking a direct hit on a blast from Nashville’s Shea Weber on Saturday.
Mursak, who is expected to be reassigned to the Griffins as soon as his toe heals, spoke today with MLive’s Ansar Khan. “I can barely walk in the skate. I’m not able to skate,” Mursak said. “I was almost 100 percent sure it’s broken. It was pretty painful. But they said it’s not broken. It’s pretty swollen, it’s sore right now, but I’m sure I’ll be ready in a couple of days to play.”
The Griffins, who played Saturday without the services of injured defensemen Greg Amadio, Sergei Kolosov and Brendan Smith, have had only two blueliners escape injury since the start of December — Travis Ehrhardt and Logan Pyett, knock on wood — and have seen forwards such as Cory Emmerton, Brent Raedeke and Brandon Straub miss significant time during that span.
For the sake of the Griffins and their playoff chase, let’s hope Mursak returns soon to help the club during its three-game road swing that starts Wednesday in Chicago. They’ll try to make hay against a pair of seventh-place teams in the Wolves and Rochester Americans (Sunday), sandwiched around a visit to Cleveland on Saturday to face a Lake Erie team that currently has what the Griffins want — the third and likely final playoff spot in the North Division.
The Monsters lead Grand Rapids by eight points in the standings, a margin that the Griffins can make up simply by winning the four games they have in hand on Lake Erie. But they’ll need several players to heal quickly to give them their best chance of starting a run to the postseason.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Piche returns, Landry released (Griffins)
- Milwaukee’s best (Griffins)
- Bulldogs nip Griffins, 2-1 (Griffins)
- Griffins blitzed by Milwaukee in 6-2 home loss (MLive)
- Griffins sign Jon Landry to pro tryout from Kalamazoo Wings (MLive)
- Griffins lose to Hamilton at home despite Jordan Pearce’s stellar effort in goal (MLive)
Wings’ Joey MacDonald relishes his time in the NHL (Detroit News)
Video: Mac attack (Red Wings)
- Red Wings’ Jan Mursak leaves game with toe injury (MLive)
- Griffins will toast fine wine and food during inaugural Wine Gala (MLive)
- Video: Griffins v Admirals – 02 05 11 (Fox 17)
- Video: Griffins – 02.04.11 (Fox 17)
- Admirals assault Griffins 6-2 (Griffins Central)
- Bulldogs late rally downs Griffins 2-1 (Griffins Central)
- Lake Erie Monsters defeat Abbotsford Heat, 3-2 (Cleveland Plain Dealer)
Alumni news and notes:
- Red Wings’ Justin Abdelkader eager to end goal-scoring drought (MLive)
Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard shelved, but not benched: He’s an action figure (Detroit Free Press)
Video – NHL alumni goal: