Belated congratulations today to Griffins defenseman Doug Janik for the significant milestone he achieved during Sunday’s game, as it marked the 500th regular season AHL contest for the 10-year-pro.
How appropriate that the game took place in Rochester, the city in which Janik began his pro career in 2001 and the team for which he logged 376 of those games.
His last game with the Amerks occurred almost five years ago, but Janik can be forgiven for appearing in only 124 AHL games in the interim, as he’s also played in 172 NHL games since departing upstate New York.
Injuries and recalls have limited Janik to just 36 games for the Griffins this season, and those absences have certainly been felt. A solid defensive blueliner, Janik has a strong offensive upside as well, as he recently tied his career high with a five-game point streak after setting personal bests with six goals (tied), 31 assists and 37 points last season during his Grand Rapids debut.
And while Janik doesn’t necessarily go looking for the rough stuff, his name has surfaced on its fair share of dance cards across the NHL and AHL. One of his more memorable bouts came almost three years ago as a member of the Tampa Bay Lightning, when he took future Griffins teammate Kris Newbury to school.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Captain’s log (Griffins)
- Welcome back, Jan! (Griffins)
- Griffins battle Sled Wings Feb. 22 (Griffins)
- Andersson hoping to be Wings’ next elite Swede (Griffins)
- Jan Mursak set to return to Griffins lineup, eyes eventual return to NHL with Red Wings (MLive)
- Griffins focusing on ways to score more goals, climb up AHL standings (MLive)
- Ultimate Jordan — Pearce emerges (Red Wings Central)
- Video: Holland couple to get married at Griffins game (WZZM 13)
- Holland couple to wed during Grand Rapids Griffins hockey game (Holland Sentinel)
- AHL Weekly: Charging Sens eye playoff return (AHL)
- Texas Stars lose to Lake Erie (Austin American-Statesman)
- Marlies boost playoff hopes with win over Moose (Toronto Star)
- Rivermen could be first, for now (Peoria Journal Star)
- Rivermen sign Gannon to full AHL deal (Peoria Journal Star)
- Eminian: Rivermen are ‘pre-disastered’ (Peoria Journal Star)
Alumni news and notes:
- Video: DWR commercial #2 (outtakes) (Red Wings)