Joey MacDonald and Gustav Nyquist are both trying to prove they can succeed at the next level. Why the former still even needs to is a head-scratcher.
When MacDonald starts for the Red Wings tonight in place of the injured Jimmy Howard, he’ll look to extend his current shutout streak of 107:53 that stretches over parts of four games. While well-documented in this blog, MacDonald’s success in Detroit has apparently gone unnoticed by many of Hockeytown’s resident chicken littles, for whom the Red Wings’ goaltending sky is constantly falling.
At what point does MacDonald’s body of work become enough evidence to convince the doubters that he is a more-than-capable NHL netminder? His 49-game run with the Islanders two seasons ago wasn’t enough, despite being named the NHL’s Third Star for November 2008. This season, he owns a team-leading 2.05 GAA and 0.928 save percentage through 13 games, numbers that would do the trick in most of the league’s outposts. But still his Detroit detractors persist.
Tonight, here’s hoping that Joey Mac can shut down the defending Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks – including his one-time Griffins teammate, Tomas Kopecky – and continue to shut up the naysayers.
As for Nyquist, the two-time Hobey Baker finalist is two games into a very promising pro career, after concluding his junior season at the University of Maine. He earned his first pro point with an assist in his AHL debut on Friday in Texas, then tallied his first goal – the lone marker for the Griffins – in Saturday’s rematch.
Having already signed a two-year, entry-level deal with the Red Wings, Nyquist is ticketed for Grand Rapids’ 2011-12 roster. Local fans will have just one shot to get a sneak peek of Detroit’s third pick in the 2008 draft in person, when the Griffins host their home finale against Abbotsford on April 8.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Amadio named Griffins’ AHL Man of the Year (Griffins)
- Seeing Stars (Griffins)
- Stars’ rally sinks Griffins (Griffins)
- Hobey Baker finalist Nyquist joins Griffins (Griffins)
- Patch it up (Griffins)
- Video: Game Day DET vs. CHI 3/28/11 (Joey MacDonald) (Red Wings)
- Joey MacDonald earning his Wings (Detroit News)
- MacDonald on the spot in Detroit (NHL)
- Red Wings’ Jimmy Howard pleased shoulder injury isn’t serious as Joey MacDonald takes over (MLive)
- Gustav Nyquist scores first goal, but Griffins drop second consecutive game to Texas (MLive)
- Texas Stars easily beat Griffins (Austin American-Statesman)
- Red Wings’ Todd Bertuzzi, Jonathan Ericsson will play tonight; Jan Mursak reassigned (MLive)
- Chris Chelios keeps busy helping Red Wings, prospects while in ‘retirement’ (MLive)
- Griffins lose three-goal lead, fall at Texas (MLive)
- Texas Stars beat Grand Rapids (Austin American-Statesman)
- Gustav Nyquist set to join Griffins after forgoing senior season at Maine (MLive)
- Video: Five Minute Major (Gustav Nyquist) (Hockey East)
- Video: ‘Getting to know the Griffins,’ Episode 21: Forward Adam Keefe (MLive)
- Griffins blitzed by Toronto Marlies at home as both teams battle for AHL playoff spot (MLive)
Alumni news and notes:
- Video: BlackBerry Player to Watch: Tomas Kopecky (NHL)
- Video: BlackBerry Player to Watch: Valtteri Filppula (NHL)
- Thomas McCollum recalled from Toledo by Red Wings (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Jimmy Howard back on the ice, just to skate; Johan Franzen returns tonight (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Jimmy Howard expects to return soon; Thomas McCollum recalled from Toledo (MLive)
Video – NHL alumni goals:
- OTT Chris Neil – March 27 at ATL
- DET Jiri Hudler – March 26 vs. TOR
- CHI Tomas Kopecky – March 23 vs. FLA
- DET Jiri Hudler – March 23 vs. VAN