ArtPrize gets underway in Grand Rapids today — just in case you’ve been in a coma — and the Griffins enthusiastically welcome back the event for its third year. Outside of the obvious benefits for downtown and the arena district, ArtPrize is a fantastic lead-in to start of the Griffins’ 2011-12 season on Oct. 8, one day before the contest concludes.
Plus, art and hockey actually have a lot in common. Creativity, skill and grace are all attributable to the most successful practitioners of either discipline. In fact, a strong argument can be made that the likes of Wayne Gretzky, Mario Lemieux and Pavel Datsyuk possess artistic talents that rival those of Monet, Picasso and Warhol. Only instead of using paint, the players’ canvas is a fresh sheet of ice, their brush is their stick, and their medium is a puck.
And at when it comes to this edition of ArtPrize, hockey, literally, is art.
For the first time, the Griffins’ office is an ArtPrize venue, specifically our exterior windows on the east side of Van Andel Arena. Local photographer Toby Broughman was given the opportunity to shoot several Griffins games last season, and the result is 17 framed photos now displayed for passersby to view as an ArtPrize entry. Take a stroll down the alley and, if you like what you see, vote 53451 to support Toby’s effort.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Lineups for Red Wings’ first two preseason games (MLive)
- Slick goal by prospect Gustav Nyquist highlights Red Wings training camp scrimmage (MLive)
Gustav Nyquist generates buzz in Red Wings scrimmage (Detroit News)
Red Wings’ Gustav Nyquist scoring, having impressive training camp (Detroit Free Press)
Wings prospect Brendan Smith hopes patience pays off (Detroit News)
Turning the page: Healthy Ferraro ready for next step (The Left Wing Lock)
Alumni news and notes:
- Former Grand Rapids Griffins GM Bob McNamara lands new job with division rival (MLive)
- Wings’ Howard confident but never at ease (Fox Sports Detroit)
- Red Wings’ goalie Jimmy Howard sits out with bruised foot but doesn’t believe it’s significant (MLive)
- Leino happy to be in the middle for Sabres (NHL)
- Nylander hopes to be reunited with Jagr in Philly (NHL)