Hockey season has finally arrived in Grand Rapids.
Sure, the Tigers are division champs, the Lions are 3-0 for the first time in nearly two generations, and the Wolverines are also undefeated as October looms. But the one constant, shining constellation in the Michigan sports sky has long been the Red Wings, and tonight’s Red & White Game at Van Andel Arena and tomorrow’s first Griffins practice at Griff’s IceHouse herald the beginning of another season of promise.
Regarding tonight’s Red & White Game, the first at Van Andel Arena since Sept. 18, 2003, we’d love to provide a link to newspaper stories detailing the roster for each squad. But we won’t, because the Red and White lineups announced yesterday have changed dramatically. Instead, here’s a PDF that reflects the latest and greatest information from the Red Wings’ PR dept…subject to change, of course.
Speaking of change, the Griffins were originally scheduled to complete their joint training camp with the Red Wings at Joe Louis Arena this week, but instead many of the players will now stay in Grand Rapids following tonight’s game and hit the ice at Griff’s IceHouse tomorrow and Thursday for 11 a.m. practices. The new schedule calls for off days Friday through Sunday while the players settle into town, before practice for the Oct. 8 season opener in Rockford resumes on Monday at Van Andel Arena. As with all Griffins practices at Griff’s IceHouse, this week’s sessions are free and open to the public.
West Michigan fans can also slake their hockey thirst this Saturday when the Detroit Red Wings Alumni take on the Jolly Roger All-Stars in a 4 p.m. charity match at the newly renovated Eagles Ice Center in Grand Rapids. The alumni roster is scheduled to include former Griffins Darren McCarty, Kevin Miller and Josh Langfeld, fellow former Red Wings John Ogrodnick, Brent Fedyk and Dennis Hextall, and ex-NHLers Dean Kolstad, Sergei Kharin and Ray Markham. Tickets are just $10, and proceeds will help fund a new scoreboard and rink lighting.
Today’s Griffins links:
- First wave arrives from Detroit (Griffins)
- Griffins unveil 2011-12 promotional schedule (Griffins)
- Video: Griffins take the ice (Griffins)
- Video: Detroit talks about Hockeytown West (DogByte Films)
- Video: 2011-12 Grand Rapids Griffins promotional schedule (Griffins)
- Video: 2011-12 Griffins & Red Wings training camp – Traverse City (Griffins)
- Red Wings trim camp roster by assigning 15 players to Grand Rapids (MLive)
- Grand Rapids hockey fans eager for Red Wings’ Red-White game at Van Andel Arena (MLive)
- Wings prep for Grand Rapids (Red Wings)
- Gustav Nyquist takes five shots during Red Wings’ shootout win against Chicago (MLive)
- Fabian Brunnstrom scores lone goal in Red Wings’ loss to Philadelphia (MLive)
- Garnet Exelby adds assist in Red Wings’ preseason opener against Pittsburgh (MLive)
- Grand Rapids Griffins’ promotional schedule highlighted by Quick Change, Russian Bar Trio (MLive)
Alumni news and notes:
- Red Wings look on bright side: Jan Mursak’s injury will allow club to develop depth (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Mursak out closer to three months (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Jan Mursak suffers fractured ankle (MLive)
- Red Wings teammates want to fire up Valtteri Filppula (Detroit Free Press)
- Red Wings relying on Niklas Kronwall more than ever after Brian Rafalski’s retirement (MLive)
- Red Wings goalie Jimmy Howard pays tribute to fallen friends with new mask design (MLive)
- Back of Jimmy Howard’s mask to honor fallen Lokomotiv friends (Puck Daddy)
- Cory Emmerton knows he’s in battle for final spot on Red Wings’ roster (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Jakub Kindl in battle for lineup spot with fellow defenseman Mike Commodore (MLive)
- Younger Wings linemates will challenge Todd Bertuzzi (Detroit News)
Red Wings forward Darren Helm sets key offensive goals (Detroit Free Press)
Red Wings’ Niklas Kronwall, Brad Stuart are top defenseman tandem (Detroit Free Press)
Nashville Predators’ Chris Mueller off to good start (The Tennessean)