Ever wonder what all the former Griffins are up to in the NHL? Then you’re in the right place.
Once again this season, The Afternoon Shift will provide regular updates and links about your favorite Grand Rapids alumni, including video of every NHL goal they score, plus their biggest hits and most spectacular saves.
There’s usually a lot to share.
Several ex-Griffins have already scored goals during the young NHL season, and Chris Neil made the highlight shows with this huge — but legal — hit last night on Minnesota’s Clayton Stoner.
Twelve of the NHL’s 30 teams currently employ a total of 23 former Griffins, a handful of whom rank among their teams’ or the league’s early-season leaders.
In Detroit, rookie Cory Emmerton is tied for second on the team in scoring with Jiri Hudler (1-1–2) and two others after netting a goal and an assist in the Wings’ season opener last Friday. Emmerton’s two points also tie him for third among NHL rookies. In addition, young defensemen Jakub Kindl (+5) and Jonathan Ericsson (+4) rank first and tie for second in the NHL, respectively, in plus/minus.
In Ottawa, Neil already has a goal and an assist in just three games, while Jason Spezza has contributed four points to tie for second on the Senators.
Here’s the complete list of the Griffins’ active NHL alumni:
- Anaheim – Sheldon Brookbank
- Boston – Chris Kelly
- Buffalo – Matt Ellis, Ville Leino
- Colorado – Kyle Quincey
- Detroit – Justin Abdelkader, Cory Emmerton, Jonathan Ericsson, Valtteri Filppula, Darren Helm, Jimmy Howard, Jiri Hudler, Jakub Kindl, Niklas Kronwall, Jan Mursak (IR)
- Florida – Tomas Kopecky
- Los Angeles – Scott Parse
- New York Islanders – Mark Eaton
- Ottawa – Chris Neil, Jason Spezza
- Philadelphia – Andreas Lilja
- Tampa Bay – Mattias Ritola
- Winnipeg – Derek Meech
Today’s Griffins links:
- Video: 4th annual Pups and Pucks Fall Walk-A-Thon (Griffins)
- Griffins to battle Marlies in home opener (Griffins)
- IceHogs spoil Griffins’ season opener with late game-winner (Griffins)
- Willie Coetzee making strong case to remain with Grand Rapids Griffins this season (MLive)
- Griffins rally, but lose season opener to IceHogs (MLive)
- IceHogs get opening night win over Grand Rapids (Rockford Register Star)
- Veteran defenseman Garnet Exelby named Grand Rapids Griffins captain (MLive)
- Grand Rapids Griffins 2011-12 season preview (Hockey’s Future)
- Griffins hope retooling leads to postseason plans (Winging It In Motown)
Alumni news and notes:
- Who’s that on Darren Helm’s shirt? Todd Bertuzzi? (Detroit Free Press)
- More time coming for Red Wings’ Jiri Hudler on power play (Detroit Free Press)
- Jiri Hudler to join Red Wings power play (Detroit News)
- Wings hope for spark on power play with Jiri Hudler (Detroit News)
- Emmerton shines in Wings’ season opener (Detroit Free Press)
- Two wins down, 80 games to go (Red Wings)
- Red Wings’ young duo comes out flying (Detroit News)
- Youth sparkles in Red Wings’ opener (Fox Sports Detroit)
NHL alumni goals:
- OTT Jason Spezza (SO) – Oct. 11 vs. MIN
- OTT Chris Neil – Oct. 11 vs. MIN
- OTT Jason Spezza – Oct. 8 at TOR
- DET Cory Emmerton – Oct. 7 vs. OTT
- DET Jiri Hudler – Oct. 7 vs. OTT
- BUF Ville Leino – Oct. 7 vs. ANA