The schedule says that the Griffins’ season started six days ago. But according to the falling temperatures and the buzz building downtown outside Van Andel Arena, hockey season starts tonight.
A 16th consecutive season-opening sellout is expected when the Griffins host the Toronto Marlies at 7 p.m., but those without tickets are not yet without luck.
Approximately 500 tickets, almost exclusively in the upper bowl, are still available at prices ranging from $16-$34. While online and phone sales concluded at 3 p.m. to allow time for processing, tickets can be purchased in person while they last at Meijer stores and The Zone at Van Andel Arena.
If you need any reasons besides the return of Griffins Hockey — or dollar beers and dollar dogs — to attend tonight’s game, we’ve got glow bams for the first 5,000 fans (thanks, Xfinity!), live pre-game music on the concourse from Jaded 8, a post-game fireworks show, and a J&H Family Stores post-game open skate (B.Y.O.S.).
Also, for all you dollar beer fans and aficionados of public transit, take note that tonight is the first Free Ride Friday of the season on The Rapid. Ride the Rapid to and from the game for no charge by showing your ticket.
Sounds like a fare deal to us.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Video: Curt Fraser – 2011-12 Griffiti interview (Griffins)
- Video: Tomas Tatar – 2011-12 Griffiti interview (Griffins)
- Video: Gustav Nyquist – 2011-12 Griffiti interview (Griffins)
- Griffiti Magazine – 2011-12 Issue #1 (Griffins)
- Smith back to Detroit (Griffins)
- Passion still exists for Bob Kaser in 12th season as Grand Rapids Griffins’ radio voice (MLive)
- Serving suspension with a smile (Red Wings)
- Brendan Smith practices with Red Wings, waits for NHL and AHL bans to end (MLive)
- Suspended Wing Brendan Smith gains appreciation (Detroit News)
- Two-league suspension ‘stinks’ for Wings’ Brendan Smith (Detroit News)
- Griffins eager for home debut after encouraging performance in season opener (MLive)
- Red Wings recall Brendan Smith, who’ll serve two more games of his suspension (MLive)
- Gonzo’s Top 6: Hoptoberfest, Ziggy Marley, Griffins, Dave Dyer, birds and boats (MLive)
Alumni news and notes:
- Video: Burrows blanked on breakaway (NHL)
- Video: A few nervous seconds (NHL)
- Red Wings rookie Cory Emmerton sticks in lineup as fourth-line center (MLive)
- Red Wings, Jimmy Howard shut out Canucks, 2-0 (MLive)
- Whale: Gernander on Avery (Hartford Courant)
NHL alumni goals: