Sports Illustrated and the Madden NFL video game have their infamous cover curses. By contrast, our beloved Griffiti magazine has a not-as-well-known cover blessing.
For one issue, at least.
Griffins leading scorer and Livonia native Chris Conner was called up by Detroit late Wednesday night and will make his Red Wings debut tonight when they visit Buffalo at 7:30 p.m.
Conner, a former member of the Pittsburgh Penguins whose 23 points (6-17–23) for Grand Rapids place him sixth in the AHL’s scoring race, will become the Griffins’ 122nd NHL alumnus on the same night that he debuts as the cover boy for this season’s second issue of Griffiti. Writer Mark Newman provides an intriguing profile of the undersized forward who has had an oversized impact on the Griffins this season.
For the uninitiated, there are several ways to experience Griffiti in addition to the print editions that are distributed free at every home game. Every issue since the start of the 2010-11 campaign is available in its entirety in digital form at issuu.com, and the feature articles from every issue dating back to 2001-02 can be found at griffinshockey.com. Also, smartphone users can access Griffiti video interviews and other YouTube content via QR codes found within the magazine.
Today’s Griffins links:
- Video: Game On! Street hockey with the Griffins (Griffins)
- Video: Human hockey puck GoPro (Griffins)
- Video: ‘Getting to know the Griffins,’ Episode 6: Forward Louis-Marc Aubry (MLive)
- Red Wings hope to utilize Chris Conner’s speed vs Sabres as they seek seventh win in row (MLive)
- Livonia’s Chris Conner makes debut for Wings Friday (Detroit News)
- Red Wings call up Chris Conner; Datsyuk promises ‘bold December’ (Detroit Free Press)
- Goaltender Joey MacDonald getting closer to making return for Grand Rapids Griffins (MLive)
- Rufenach returns to Toledo (Griffins)
- Grand Rapids Griffins return Bryan Rufenach to Toledo Walleye (MLive)
- Red Wings call on Conner (Griffins)
- Red Wings recall forward Chris Conner from Grand Rapids (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Mike Babcock challenges Fabian Brunnstrom to maintain his spot in the lineup (MLive)
- Wings’ expectant father Fabian Brunnstrom keeps focus on the game (Detroit News)
- Griffins announce new hire (Griffins)
- Griffins topple Marlies (Griffins)
- Landon Ferraro’s overtime goal gives Griffins road victory against Toronto (MLive)
- November 2011 Grand Rapids Griffins report (Griffins Central)
Alumni news and notes:
- Sabres still waiting for former Red Wing Ville Leino to pay dividends after signing big-money deal (MLive)
- Wings’ Filppula thriving next to Zetterberg (Detroit Free Press)
- Red Wings’ Darren Helm stashes win, earns lip service (Detroit Free Press)
- NCAA PRO-file with Jimmy Howard (NHL)
- Red Wings defensemen active, scoring goals at highest rate in NHL (MLive)
- Red Wings’ Jimmy Howard has never looked better as team hits the road (MLive)
NHL alumni goals: